Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Banana Walnut Muffins


Yesterday I had bananas that were a tad on the too ripe side for adding into my cereal in the morning....so I thought I would make some banana walnut muffins. I completely adjusted a recipe I found to make it healthier, but they definitely don't taste like anything is missing. I especially love eating them the day they are made because they keep the fresh baked crispiness on the outside and are moist and soft on the inside.

Ingredients
3/4 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 ground flax seed
1 tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
6 tbsp margarine, softened
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 egg white
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
2-3 mashed ripe bananas
If bananas are large, 2 should be plenty, but adding more is ok

Yields 12 Muffins
I made 11, think I overfilled some

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F

Step 1 - Grease muffin tins or line with paper cups
Step 2 - Spread walnuts on a baking tray and toast in oven 8-10 minutes. Set aside when done.
Step 3 - In a bowl, mix together both flours, flax seed, baking powder, and salt. Side Note: when I don't want to sift, I just mix the dry ingredients with a whisk
Step 4 - In another bowl, blend together margarine, sugar and vanilla until smooth and creamy. Beat in eggs. Add mashed bananas and beat until combined.
Step 5 - Stir dry ingredients into banana mixture just until flour disappears. (over mixing leads to tough muffins) Lightly stir in nuts.
Step 6 - Spoon batter into muffin cups and fill to the top. Bake 20 - 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home