Thursday, February 09, 2006

Pizza Stones - why all the raves?

Last night was the first time I used a pizza stone - thought it was supposed to make the pizza nice and crispy with easy clean up. Boy, was I wrong! The pizza looked delicious and the crust did get crispy - but not much of it was able to be eaten, as the entire edge of the pizza stuck to the stone. The center was a bit firmer than when I would make a pizza on an air bake cookie sheet, but not like I expected. I even had cornmeal under the pizza like it instructed when pressing the dough into shape. (unfortunately, the instructions that came with the stone didn't tell me much) The clean up was horrible - it took forever to get the baked on crust off the stone. Has anybody else used a pizza stone? Do you have any suggestions on how to make it bake better and the clean up easier? In the meantime, I think I'll just stick to making mini pizzas on pita pockets... when baking on parchment paper, no clean up is involved. These pizzas can be enjoyed immediately after baking.

1 Comments:

Blogger Rebecca said...

You may want to try using cornmeal on the stone to prevent sticking. The thing about baking with stone is that like a cast iron skillet it kind needs to be "seasoned." I don't know of any way to do it without just cooking with it. It will kind of becme non-stick over time...

5:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home